Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote: > On Saturday 27 December 2003 23:48, James Richard Tyrer wrote: >>It is logical for a WordPerfect file to have a MIME type icon with the >>WordPerfect application icon on it (to me that does reflect the content of >>the file). But, with a PostScript file, there is no application associated >>with that MIME type and it needs to have a MIME type icon reflecting the >>content of the file. >> > > The idea breaks down when integration comes along. It wouldnt make sense for > kword-documents to contain kword-art once it uses the same format as > openoffice.org. Yes, I agree with you here. When we have a common document format, I hope that they have a trademark like image for it. If not, then we will need to use content based MIME type icons like with PostScript files. > If we used this concept we would need to treat work-formats > (tied to an application) and publishable MIME-types (tied to a standard) > differently. This wouldn't be too illogical since there are different ways of naming MIME types that correspond to these differences. That is, those that have a major type: "application" should be treated differently than those that start with a data type (i.e. audio, text, video) which should probably have a content based icon. > And even then there's a grey-zone with application-specific > types that have become de-facto standards (like MS Word files). > This specific case has additional issues since we don't have a MS-Word application icon and I presume that M$ wouldn't be very pleased if we used the official one > >>There is a better alternative when the data file format actually has an >>trademark image associated with it like SVG and Acrobat. But, others that >>appear to be like this such as RPM and Real are just using the >>application's icon. >> > > All the Real-formats have been changed to generic video and audio icons to be > able to distingues RealAudio and RealVideo. > > >>alternatively, we could have all of the various MIME types for a generic >>application type have the same MIME icon. >> >>For example: have all spreadsheets applications use the generic >>'spreadsheet' icon for their files. But then the MIME type icons are not >>distinguishing between different MIME types. I find it helpful to be able >>to tell at a glance which spreadsheet files are for Quattro Pro and which >>are for GNUMeric. >> > > All spreadsheet types are using the generic 'spreadsheet' icon now (except > Applix I think), since none of the MIME types had usefull specific icons. > > >>You do raise a valid question, this is a usability issue. >> > > Yes, and one I have been working on. I would love it if we could reach some > sort of agreement. Even if it goes against what I've done so far. > I would like to see different MIME types have different icons as I said about Quattro Pro and GNUMeric. > > For KDE 3.3 or later: > The best idea I can come up with, is to use generic base icons (spreadsheet, > database, etc.) and then superimpose an application onto it to create a > specific one (a kword file would be the wordprocessing icon with a > koffice-watermark). That way we can have both generic icons, and only need a > composition icon for each office-suite or company. I will have to leave that to the actual artists to make those. It was brought up that we didn't have MIME icons for KOffice, and I can make the ones I am working on (if I survive the cold I got for Christmas :-)). I think that we agree that these MIME types should have icons and if we come up with something different later (for 3.3), it is OK. -- JRT _______________________________________________ kde-usability mailing list kde-usability@mail.kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability