List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: [RFC] Reply behavior in KMail
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () virgilio ! it>
Date:       2003-11-29 0:02:40

On Saturday 29 November 2003 00:18, Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> The question now is whether it's necessary to revert the behavior to the
> old behavior until the new behavior is improved like above. The only
> valid reason for this is that probably many users always used Reply in
> case they wanted to reply to a mailing-list and that this worked for
> them up to now. A few people complained about this on kmail@kde.org and
> kde-pim@kde.org and there were also already 1 or 2 bugs reports about
> this. Of course, only those people complain that don't like the change.
> Those who like the new much more logical behavior don't speak up.
> Therefore I'd like to know what the usability team thinks about this.

I was one of those that submitted the bug report, so you know my opinion :)
As a workaround for my problem - I kept to push the reply button instead of
pressing 'l' or using the menu item - I had to add the reply to list icon
before the reply in my toolbar. This could be all right, in fact.
However, I think that the toolbar should contain common actions, and
specialized ones should be accessible through menus or shortcut.

Since the "normal" action when replying messages from a mailing list is, IMHO,
to send the message to the list, and the private answer is the exception, I
think the better solution would be to keep "reply" as it was in 3.1, and add
a "reply to sender" action instead. But I don't know if it is possible to
change things in this way, whith the current string freeze.