List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Sound System KCM (again!)
From:       Henrique Pinto <stampede () lagoaminas ! com ! br>
Date:       2003-08-09 17:16:52

Hi,

On Saturday 09 August 2003 13:11, Simon Edwards wrote:
> The problem is that you shouldn't have to tell the end user this. You
> should tell the admin or packager this. It's an installation problem. What
> I would do is make artswrapper gracefully fail (with a message) if it is
> not suid root. It should not be possible for a packager to create a
> package, test it and not notice that suid root is missing.

Thank you for your comments. I agree with you here. Anyway, as artswrapper
works without being suid root, I think some distributions, for security
reasons, do not make it suid, Slackware being an example. The result of this
is really bad sound on old machines, or when you have lots of programs
running at the same time.

I'll ask in kde-multimedia if it is possible/desirable to issue a message when
artswrapper is not suid root.
--
	Henrique Pinto
	stampede@coltec.ufmg.br