List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Sound System KCM (again!)
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2003-08-09 16:11:33

[This is quite old but didn't appear to be answered.]

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 15:42, Henrique Pinto wrote:
> Could anyone suggest me a nice way to tell people that artswrapper needs to
be
> suid root in order to make realtime priority to work? I'm afraid most
> potential users do not hat the vagest idea of what does suid means...

The problem is that you shouldn't have to tell the end user this. You should
tell the admin or packager this. It's an installation problem. What I would
do is make artswrapper gracefully fail (with a message) if it is not suid
root. It should not be possible for a packager to create a package, test it
and not notice that suid root is missing.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/