List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RMB - once again
From:       Sander Devrieze <s.devrieze () pandora ! be>
Date:       2003-08-09 17:37:08

Op zaterdag 09 augustus 2003 15:01, schreef Daniele Medri:

> Instead of the label "Preview", the use of "Edit" is more explicit.
> With "Open" a user open that file (images, text file...) with a default
> viewer (inside konqy, or kview, or kword, ...) or an editor if there isn't
> players.
>
> With "Edit" and the name of default editor he can modify that file.
>
> "Open" and "Edit" could point at the same app in some cases.. but this is
> well acceptable IMO.
>
> Inside "Actions" could be many system or personal scripts to play.
>
> The result for RMB on a file could be:
>
> --------------------
>  Open
>  Edit (Kate)
>  Actions        >>
> --------------------
>  Cut
>  Copy
>  Paste
>  Rename
>  Trash
> --------------------
>  Properties
> --------------------

IMO:

- --------------------
 Open in >>		(new window etc; *only* display this when the default app is
embedded; LMB click to open the file with the default application)
 Open With >>		(All other applications)
 Actions        >>		(Actions you can do on files like rotating images,
renaming with krename,...)
- --------------------
 Cut
 Copy
 Paste
 Rename
 Trash			(off topic: it should be possible to use /dev/null as trash IMO ;) )
- --------------------
 Properties
- --------------------

> The last term "Properties" will show some tabs where select "Edit file
> type",

Or a button and also possible via the "Open With >> Others..." dialog.

> how to handle file with "Open" item,

Or a button and also possible via the "Open With >> Others..." dialog. (ps:
"Open With >>" apps and default app in my idea)

> and other usefull tips like
> those suggested by me in this thread.

:p

> > The Edit File Type configuration dialog could be somehow extended to add
> > the possibility to create some custom actions. Then it would be possible
> > to add new actions, remove actions (something that the user cannot manage
> > for the moment).
> > It would also help to highlight the default action.

I also vote for such feature.

- --
Mvg, Sander Devrieze.