List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RMB - once again
From:       Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach () wp ! pl>
Date:       2003-08-08 17:24:22

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 06:08:24PM +0200, Sander Devrieze wrote:
> My thoughts about how it should be:
> o clicking on a file opens the file in the default viewer.

Don't agree. There should be two actions:
Open - for editing file (changing its contents)
Preview - only viewing file

In setting user could choose which option is default for LMB (default:
Preview)

> o remove "Preview in Embeddable Image Viewer" from the RMB menu: it's a
> duplicate of the actions in the submenu of "Open in"

Yes.

> o Gimp and other apps should be under "Open with" (which has also a
> "Others..." entry) Some idea: we can make from this list (also for other
> files) a "most used applications list" with the most used app on the place
> with the fastest access (next to "Open with"). Limit this to x applications
> and the "Others..." option. When this list is first used some standard
> applications are showed (we have to do then tests for which apps are the most
> popular for which file types!)

Why? In 90% of filetypes there is no more than 5 apps to use. Even with
text/* apps this list shouldn't be very long. In this list should be all
apps registered in: "Edit file type" dialog. The only problem can be how
recognize non-kde apps as suitable for editing current filetype.

m.