List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: RMB - once again
From:       William Leese <william () leese ! nl>
Date:       2003-08-08 20:33:38

On Friday 08 August 2003 19:24, Mikolaj Machowski wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 06:08:24PM +0200, Sander Devrieze wrote:
> > My thoughts about how it should be:
> > o clicking on a file opens the file in the default viewer.
>
> Don't agree. There should be two actions:
> Open - for editing file (changing its contents)
> Preview - only viewing file

I'm wondering if most users really use preview. In what way does 'Preview'
differ from opening the file in an application? All it does is open the file
in a 'lite' application.

Preview is only wanted if it's inline, right? Ofcourse there are are files you
want to a) view and b) edit, but in the end it's all the same as 'Open with
..'.

Is it beneficial to have "Open", "Open With.." and "Preview In"? versus the
more simple "Open" and "Actions"?

Something like:

Open
Actions -> View (Embedded Viewer)