List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       Gordon Tyler <gordon () doxxx ! net>
Date:       2002-12-05 19:03:20

Michael Pye wrote:
>>>* No popup menus
>>>* Move is the default action that a drag does. (pretty obvious IMHO)
>>>* Use the status bar to inform the user about the modifier keys.
>>>* When a modifier key is held down the pointer should change to show the
>
> OK, if we show a modifier icon when performing anything other than the default
> action (read-only filesystems, tar io-slave etc or holding a modifier) then
> it gets my vote too.

That's a good point that may not be obvious. The pointer should always
show what action is going to take place (normal pointer for move, + for
copy, chain for link) regardless of whether the user is pressing the
modifier key to force that action or if the action is determined by the
source/destination (i.e. read=only filesystem).

Ciao,
Gordon