List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Abstracting the Linux Desktop from the File-system
From:       mchristoph.eckert () t-online ! de (Christoph Eckert)
Date:       2002-12-05 23:17:27

Am Donnerstag, 5. Dezember 2002 19:02 schrieb Ralph
Gottesbuehren:

>  Windows chooses itself, how to handle the left-button-drag
> (depends on where to drag to or what type of item , i.e. if
> you drag an *.exe-icon, windows sets a link per default;

Yes, can be very unwanted ;-) .

> if you drag an item to an other partition, then windows
moves
> it, if you drag it to an other directory, then windows
> copies your item -> thats very annoying, because you never
> really know, what will happen, if you release the button)

It's the other way, copying between partitions, moving on one
and the same partition.
Using modifier keys you can influence the behaviour.

On Mac, it's the same. and meanwhile on Mac OS X one can also
move files between partitions instead only copying (=default)
by pressing the command key.

On Linux, it doesn't make sense to auto-choose this behaviour,
because on Linux we do not see any difference between
different partitions; they all are mounted somewhere in the
filesystem, and the user does not see them as drives or
volumes.

> > The average user does MUCH more moving than copying
> > How many files have you copied this weak?

I think so, too.

> > That's why I wan't to remove the menu alltogether.  But I
> > agree that we need some visual cues near the mous when
> > the command a command key is pressed.

I hate this menu; On 3.0.3 I can modify the actions by
pressing some keys, and a small icon indicates the state.
But I didn't figure out yet how to create Symlinks.

I suggest

Dragging=Move
Ctrl-Drag=Copying. A plus-symbol is nice to indicate the state
Alt-Drag will create a symlink
Ctrl-Alt-Drag will create a *.desktop-file

Maybe one could also use some combinations whith Shift.

> i would suggest, if you show some visuals (i.e. a small "+"
> for copy, an arrow for move ...), then to do it not only
> when a key is pressed, but every time. so the user knows
> while dragging, what the system will do when he releases
> the mouse button, even if he pressed no special key.

This is needed surely; on Mac and Win this is exactly what
happens: Always control about what will happen when I release
the mousebutton.

		Gruß

			ce

======
Installation von SuSE 8.0 auf einem Dell Inspiron 8200
http://home.t-online.de/home/mchristoph.eckert/inspiron8200/
======