List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Print manager usability improvement (commitable?)
From:       Ryan Cumming <ryan () completely ! kicks-ass ! org>
Date:       2002-08-29 15:35:21

On August 29, 2002 08:00, Michael Goffioul wrote:
> I already received a few remarks about the usability of the large toolbar
> in the print manager. Recently, a user proposed to use a menu-driver
> approach, and I gave it a try. Look at the screenshot
>
> http://printing.kde.org/screenshots/pics/manager2.png
>
> After using it a little bit, I find this menu-driven approach quite
> convenient, indeed. Now the questions:
>
> - do you find it better from a usbality point of view? (note that the
>   toolbar is still available, and both menubar and toolbar are togglable)?
I must say having two menubars in one window is... odd... to say the least.
I'll let other, more opinionated people make an actual usability complaint of
this, though ;)

My real question is: why have a whole seperate submenu for Enable/Disable Job
Spooling? Why not just a checkable menu item called "Enable Job Spooling"?
Much cleaner, IMHO.

Also, any action that requires further user interaction to complete should be
followed by an ellipsis. This includes "Remove", "Configure", "Test Printer",
etc.

-Ryan