List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: List archives + KDE CVS and Icons control module
From:       Christoph Held <c-held () web ! de>
Date:       2002-08-22 17:45:02

On Thursday 22 August 2002 18:21, Michael Pye wrote:
> On Thursday 22 August 2002 2:53 pm, Poletti Don wrote:

> Personally, I think it is difficult to work with the theme manager because
> it encompasses so much. Ideally, shouldn't the theme manager encompass
> everything in the look and feel branch, but nothing else? Obviously this is
> now difficult because of the (perfectly logical) window management
> branch...

I am working on thememanager kcms. a look-manager kcm that encompass
widget-style, kwin-style, desktop-background, kicker-background, colors,
icon-theme, and maby more.( I am not shure if the word look-manager makes any
sense. Should I call it look-wizard?)

a feel-manager kcm that encomass, panel layout(kudos to Carsten Wolff), keys,
window behavior, mouse behavior and some more.

also a speed-manager kcm that customizes the speed of the desktop. It
encompasses menu fadings, anti aliased fonts, and many more. It detects
hardware like cpu speed and render support.
I am also planning some more task oriented managers. All managers will be
extreamly easy to use, because they will only consist of one main widget
(e.g. a slider or a list box)

I would like to putt the more easy, task oriented managers in the look & feel
tree and bury the feature oriented kc modules in a 'look & feel'->'advanced
settings' subtree.

Maby we can adjust our work a bit to avoid dublicated code.

BTW: I am not aware of the kcontrol cvs changes, because my SuSE8 make drops
out before it compiles kcontrol. I haven't found the problem yet.

Greetings

Christoph