List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RFC: Icons control page, first draft...
From:       Michael Pye <mp () fuckmicrosoft ! com>
Date:       2002-08-22 17:40:46

OK, attached is the (gzipped) .ui for my take on how the Icons page could be
better organised. The explanation for my decisions are below. Get your
critical hats on, and remember this is my first time is QtDesigner. :)

Right, the changes:

I've always felt the Icons page contained a large amount of redundant space
(does anyone REALLY have enough icon themes to fill that selection box?!).
Therefore I have attempted to merge the two tabs into one page. This would
allow it to act more neatly as part of a dialogue outside the CC.

Drop the descriptions, after all they are almost 100% redundant and consist of
"The <theme name> icon theme". A suitable compromise is to display the
descriptions as tooltips so they are available for credits, but do not waste
space on screen.

I was glad to see the Add Theme button had been cleaned up slightly in CVS,
but I don't think it went far enough. The Add Theme button should open a file
requestor directly. Anyone who would have typed the path directly into the
textbox can type it just as well into the file requestor. Just cleans things
up a bit.

Theme preview given title and extended slightly. Sorry about the icons, they
didn't seem to save well...

Finally, the effects. While an overall preview including size is a nice idea,
it is a terrible waste of space (can you find me someon who uses 128x128
icons and feels that they need them previewed at that size?) Perhaps the
previews could size up to a max of 48x48. Perhaps they should be fixed at
32x32 and only reflect the Effect applied to them.

Anyone who could explain to me how to line objects up vertically without
stretching them (like "Lay out Vertically" does), I would be very grateful.

Please comment as much as possible. What is good, what doesn't make sense,
what is generally prohibited about my layout. :)

Cheers

MP
["icon-panel-0.0.1.ui.gz" (application/x-gzip)]