List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Baloon" help
From:       Gordon Tyler <gordon () doxxx ! net>
Date:       2002-06-11 23:06:16

On June 12, 2002 04:33 am, Troels Tolstrup wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 June 2002 08:06, Tim Jansen wrote:
> > IMHO the shorter "more information" link in #9 is better than the
> > "Click here for more information" in #10.
>
> I changed the link text and uploaded a #12. I think the visual layout is
> getting close now.
> (still at http://www.tolstrup.org/kde/baloon.html)

<snip from below>

> Another alternative would be to add a menu button like in the window
> decorations. This could contain both the help and the "dont show this
> again" option and would hence get rid of the RMB context menu. See #13

At first, I thought the - button was a minimise button ;) Perhaps it would be
better have a ? button there, which would popup a context menu with "Disable
this tooltip" and "Help about tooltips".

However, let me ask this again: What is the point of having a "Help about
tooltips"? How to interact with a tooltip should be blatantly obvious from
it's UI. If its UI requires documentation then the UI is bad.

> Except one thing. Colors. Should the color scheme be used or should the
> normal tooltip color be used? I actually made it yellow so far to make
> it resemble a tool tip.

I was wondering this myself. I generally expect tooltips to be yellow and
sometimes when I encounter one that isn't, it doesn't quite register as a
tooltip in my mind which can lead to some confusion. ;)

> Should clicking on it close it? Even if it has a close button? Wouldnt
> that be confusing? What if they attempted to click on the link but
> missed it?

Hmmm... I suppose clicking on the tooltip itself is not obvious. Timeout and
the close button I guess.

> Should the delay pause while the mouse is on top of it?

Probably a good idea.

> What is the best way to disable a specific popup for good? Right
> clicking and selecting "Dont show again" in a context menu? (the item

Context menus without some obvious visual trigger are invisible to the user.
Especially the new user. See my suggestion above for the context menu
connected to a ? button in the top left corner of the titlebar.

> do the actual disable work i think) Or should the baloon include a
> checkbox? (i think it would take up darn much space though, especially

You're right there.

> An alternative could be to place the help as an option to the RMB
> context menu and add a tool tip to the baloon explaining how to get to
> it, or is that abuse of the tool tips? It would have the advantage that
> the more info link would only be shown when there is more info.

That would most definitely be an abuse of tooltips. ;)

Like I said, I don't think help for the tooltips is necessary. The tooltip
must be understandable by the first time user without having to consult a
manual!

Ciao,
Gordon