List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Baloon" help
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2002-06-11 18:47:52

On Tuesday 11 June 2002 09:54, Tim Jansen wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 June 2002 01:21, Gordon Tyler wrote:
> > I think the idea of making the title optional is good. It provides the
> > programmer with flexibility as to how their particular tooltip looks
> > while keeping to a generally consistent style.
>
> But why should you have popups without title? I would rather prefer to keep
> them consistent. Otherwise the user will wonder why some popups can be
> closed and other cant. It will also confuse a user who is used to read the
> title if a popup without title appears.

I agree. I don't see the point in allowing programmers to drop the title if
they feel like it.  Most of us here agree that the title in an important
identifying feature. There is no point in making it easy for programmers to
violate GUI conventions and produce bad GUIs.

Another thing about the title. I hope that users don't expect the titlebar on
the balloon-thingy to act like the titlebar on a normal window. They might go
to drag the balloon by the titlebar and *poof* it disappears...  Perhaps it
is a good idea to make sure that the titlebar is visually different enough so
that people don't expect it to act like a window.

It's all looking though people. ooh, and hang on to the 'evolution' images.
They would look nice on the website in an article. :)

--
Simon Edwards             | Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/