List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Baloon" help
From:       Troels Tolstrup <troels () tolstrup ! org>
Date:       2002-06-12 2:36:06

On Tuesday 11 June 2002 08:06, Tim Jansen wrote:
> IMHO the shorter "more information" link in #9 is better than the
> "Click here for more information" in #10.

I changed the link text and uploaded a #12. I think the visual layout is
getting close now.
(still at http://www.tolstrup.org/kde/baloon.html)

Except one thing. Colors. Should the color scheme be used or should the
normal tooltip color be used? I actually made it yellow so far to make
it resemble a tool tip.

Im still not 100% sure about the behavior either.

Should clicking on it close it? Even if it has a close button? Wouldnt
that be confusing? What if they attempted to click on the link but
missed it?

Should the delay pause while the mouse is on top of it?

What is the best way to disable a specific popup for good? Right
clicking and selecting "Dont show again" in a context menu? (the item
should be grayed out if it cant be disabled, the program will have to
do the actual disable work i think) Or should the baloon include a
checkbox? (i think it would take up darn much space though, especially
since there should be an ok button too as it would be nasty to change
things without the user aknowledges his choice)

Is it a problem that help about the baloons in general would be in the
more information link? This would cause all baloons to have such a
link, even if it doesnt contain any context specific help. But im not
sure how else to add the baloon help to it.

An alternative could be to place the help as an option to the RMB
context menu and add a tool tip to the baloon explaining how to get to
it, or is that abuse of the tool tips? It would have the advantage that
the more info link would only be shown when there is more info.

Another alternative would be to add a menu button like in the window
decorations. This could contain both the help and the "dont show this
again" option and would hence get rid of the RMB context menu. See #13
for an example of this. Im not artist so i have no idea if the icon is
clear or not. I somehow feel that is better than the other options,
even though i dont like putting another button on it.

I will start playing around with the KPassivePopup code and see if i can
make a working prototype soonish (as in copy the code and make a demo
program using it). It will be my first QT/KDE project so i dont dare
giving a time estimate yet.

Mvh
Troels