List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kcontrol modules: slider abuse needs cleaning
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-05-31 23:59:53

On May 30, 2002 04:38 pm, Alexei Podtelezhnikov wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> I'd like to bring your attention to the flagrant abusing of sliders in
> kcontrol.
>
> This in turn leads to a great inconsistencies in the interface. Some
> precise numerical values are set by numbers only, some have a slider on top
> (well, to the right) of it. Why? I totally understand sliders from Slow to
> Fast. Why do we need sliders to change numerical values like "Look&Feel /
> Win Behavior / Focus / Moving / Snap Zones". I don't see this.

when you have a large range of numbers to move through, it can be faster to do
so with a slider, especially if there is some sort of immediate feedback.
play with the Length slider in the new panel kcm, and then try and set the
same value using just the spinner. the slider is much nicer in this case,
IMO, as it allows easy and quick experimentation with values.

for %s, it also makes sense since people can use the position of the thumb to
visibly guage the ratio.

when, then, have a spinner? so users can see the actual value and do fine
tuning of the setting. think of it like the course and fine focus knobs on a
microscope, or the course and fine direction controls on a telescope.

that said, yes, sliders are often used where innappropriate. we removed
several from the panel config.

> Look @ Feel:
>    Panel :
>       Position : Length
>       Hiding : Automatic Hide : Delay in Sec
>       Menus : Browser Menus
>       Extensions : Automatic Hide

you're using an old version of this panel, aren't you? ;-)

> In short, I think there should be one method depending on the setting:
> either numerical and precise, or sliding and rough. The policy must state:
> NEVER BOTH! It's usually very simple to figure out which one is preferable.

i disagree for the above reasons.

> Kcontrol should become just as clean as it is important. I mean
> customisability and konqueror are usually cited in the first paragraphs
> on PRs.

agreed... did you catch our discussion of cataloging the functions of kcontrol
over the last few days?

- --
Aaron J. Seigo

    - Albert Einstein