List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: K Menu layout idea
From:       Eric Ellsworth <whalesuit () softhome ! net>
Date:       2002-06-01 0:35:12

> > Comments, ideas, feedback?

>  o don't worry about the Close button. kdialogbase will provide that. you
> don't have to.

Sounds good.  I'll remove it.

>  o the visual grouping doesn't show the relationship between the list on
> the left and the settings on the right

Yeah, I was kinda worried about that.  The idea, which I should explain more
fully :) is that the label on the right will change to reflect what's
selected on the left.

>  o the "change" button is unecessary. all changes should be saved when the
> user hits "OK" perhaps replace it with a "Browse" button allowing the user
> to pick an app from the filesystem that isn't listed
Done - will appear in the next iteration.

>  o the two dialog could really be merged into one if there was a "New Item"
> button

I apologize - I didn't explain the two dialogs well enough.  The two are
supposed to represent the same dialog, the first under Change Item mode, and
the second under Add-Item mode.  The right side changes to the second dialog
when you choose Add a Program in the listbox on the right.

I'm just not yet handy enough with QT Designer to make the text and objects
change...

>  o there should be a way to rename items

Absolutely

>  o showing in an editable field the current program is unecessary. it
> should simply be the currently select item in the combobox.
If you're saying that box should be a label rather than an editable fields, I
think I agree.  I do think that the label for the current program should be
separate from the combo box for the new program, however, to keep clear what
refers to what.

>one could also
> put the icon on a button so the user can change the icon. dunno if that is
> too much flexibility though.

I think the user shouldn't be able to change the icon - not from this dialog,
anyway.  Since apps typically have an icon associated with them, putting the
icon on the menu helps novices understand what's program their using.  I'm
not against the feature in principle, it just strikes as something that
belongs in a more advanced context.  I was also thinking we might use Aaron's
handy-dandy combo-box with icons from kicker-kcm to associate icons with
programs.

I think I've covered all the ideas that have been posted to the list.  Thanks
for the feedback, all.  I'll try to get a new version made for next week....

Cheers,

EE