List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Winow placement policy (#26046)
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-05-14 0:42:13

On May 13, 2002 11:26 pm, Roland Seuhs wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 14. Mai 2002 00:56 schrieb Shane Wright:
> >
> > Hi Roland
>
> Hi Shane!
>
> > I think the kwin developers are happy with the three placements as they
> > are
>
> Strange, because I think if there is justification to put a "random"
> category into the policies, there is much more justification for a
> "centered" and "top left" or any other non-random behaviour. Why anybody
> would like random window-placement is also not quite clear to me. But
> that's just MO, of course.

because when i have 15 windows open i don't want them all in the same location
of the screen stacked one atop the other... when you work with paper on your
desk do you pile all the paper into on 8 1/2 x 11 area on your big open desk
(haha) or do you spread it out so you can see things?

what would be a useful improvement is a placement scheme that follows an
intelligent set of heuristics. there is an algo that uses a nuerel net to
learn where the best place to put things is; it's experimental but apparently
works. there was some effort during kde2 to put this into kwin but the effort
wasn't completed apparently. maybe someone will do it someday........

--
Aaron J. Seigo