List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Panel Applets and Extras
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-05-14 0:38:36

On May 13, 2002 06:17 pm, Eric E wrote:
> > this will be somewhat tricky to get right and require some imagination,
> > but that's the cool thing about all of this right? =)
>
> That's the good stuff, for sure...

i'll respond to this stuff in detail tomorrow.. i'm packing a crate of stuff
for our LUG's booth at a tech show tomorrow... demo'ing kde3 on a thin client
network .. should be fun... we also have a day of linux workshops lined up ..
busy busy busy busy busy

but a few quick comments:

i do think that with extra trickery we could create a preview widget to show
button/applet stuff... won't be easy, but it might be possible...

> Pushbutton = good idea.  Here's a little twist.  If the pushbuttons were
> enabled (un-greyed) when you checked enable, then you could configure the
> applet.  It wouldn't actually be started until you clicked OK or Apply on
> the kcm-kicker tab.  This way you could configure applets before actually
> running them.  Or is my logic off somewhere?

you'd need an instance of the applet running to get to its preferences. we may
be able to work around this by quietly loading the applet and not showing it,
but this would need to be investigated more deeply. it's a hack, but it might
just work =)

> I do not like them on the widget-handle menus, Sam I am.  This screenshot
> ought to clarify what I think is vague:
> http://eeric.dnsalias.net/kde_usability/widget_arrow_menu.png
> The words Remove and Preferences appear twice, side by side.  What's
> connected to what?  What are we acting on?

i agree completely. in fact, i agree so much that i removed them as part of my
general commit over the weekend. the panel menu no longer appears in the
applet menus and instead of a vague "Configure..." you get "Configure
<whateverYouAreAboutToConfigure.."... for example: "Configure Taskbar..." or
"Configure Clock..." or "Configure Panel" ... so you won't have to complain
too much about it in the future ... and neither will i =))

--
Aaron J. Seigo