List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: optionitis
From:       Wilco Greven <greven () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-19 12:37:40

On Tuesday 19 February 2002 10:33, Michael W. Collette wrote:
> [...]
>
> I personally hate the "single-click to launch" default that KDE comes with.
> I know, it's supposed to be some sort of web thing... bleh.  When I first
> got to looking around to put things back to the "right way"(tm) of doing
> things I started with a right-click on the desktop.  No help.  Ahh, must be
> in the "Control Center" someplace I reckon.  Seems like a look and feel
> sortta thing.  First stop, Icons.  No help.  Of course, Launch Feedback.
> Foiled again!  Window Behavior maybe??  Not a chance!  Ummm, Desktop then?
> Nope!
>
> Of course I eventually did locate it under Periphals > Mouse... err, after
> someone on IRC was kind enough to point me in the direction.  I've been in
> front of a computer of some sort for well over 15 years.  I've been an
> admin in a number of places using a variety of operating systems.  Here I
> found myself totally perplexed by one simple tweak.  I just couldn't
> connect in my mind mouse settings with how an icon would respond by
> clicking on it.
>
> The moral of this story is not specifically about the double click option.
> There are a number of options such as this that have one place to change
> them, and if you don't know that specific place you've got hours of
> not-so-fun time on your hands.  Simple things like this need to be mirrored
> to multiple locations, and provided for at the point where the user is most
> likely to be concerned with them.  Had "Mouse Clicking" options been a part
> of the "Desktop" settings I would have been 2 clicks away from gettings
> things like I wanted.

You obviously don't know about the search tab in kcontrol. A search for
"click" would have shown the appropriate module immediately. Maybe the search
tab should be easier to be found.

Another way to ease the search for an option might be to let a configuration
module show related modules.

> [...]

Greetings,
Wilco