List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: optionitis
From:       "Michael W. Collette" <metrol () metrol ! net>
Date:       2002-02-19 9:33:00

There's a fella by the name of Joel Spolsky who has a pretty interesting site
up concerning software development.  Not always in agreement with his
opinions on things, but he does tend to make some darn good points along the
way.

The following is an excerpt from his comments concerning "bloatware".

A lot of software developers are seduced by the old "80/20" rule. It seems to
make a lot of sense: 80% of the people use 20% of the features. So you
convince yourself that you only need to implement 20% of the features, and
you can still sell 80% as many copies.

Unfortunately, it's never the same 20%.

> I think KDE has optionitis. That is, there are too many unnecessary
> options.

If there's a problem, it's not that there are too many options.  The real
problem is that the options are either stuffed away into "Control Center" or
application preferences.  Where the options need to be is where the specific
tweaks will actually have an effect.

A couple of quick examples.

A while back I was evaluating an E-Mail app for Windows.  One of the features
that stuck out was so obvious as to be baffling why others don't do this.  At
the bottom of the new message composition were all the controls needed for
creating, editing, and saving signatures.  There it all was, right at the
time I would most likely be thinking about it, not buried away in some config
screen.

As I'm sure has been mentioned about quite a bit, take a look at what
Microsoft did with the "Start" menu as of Win98.  You can drag and drop items
around, copy them from place to place, pull up properties, and even delete
items right there IN the menu.  No special app, or knowledge of where the
shortcuts are located is required.  Heck, I learned about this from my then
12 year old daughter!

Personal Probs:

I personally hate the "single-click to launch" default that KDE comes with.
I know, it's supposed to be some sort of web thing... bleh.  When I first got
to looking around to put things back to the "right way"(tm) of doing things I
started with a right-click on the desktop.  No help.  Ahh, must be in the
"Control Center" someplace I reckon.  Seems like a look and feel sortta
thing.  First stop, Icons.  No help.  Of course, Launch Feedback.  Foiled
again!  Window Behavior maybe??  Not a chance!  Ummm, Desktop then?  Nope!

Of course I eventually did locate it under Periphals > Mouse... err, after
someone on IRC was kind enough to point me in the direction.  I've been in
front of a computer of some sort for well over 15 years.  I've been an admin
in a number of places using a variety of operating systems.  Here I found
myself totally perplexed by one simple tweak.  I just couldn't connect in my
mind mouse settings with how an icon would respond by clicking on it.

The moral of this story is not specifically about the double click option.
There are a number of options such as this that have one place to change
them, and if you don't know that specific place you've got hours of
not-so-fun time on your hands.  Simple things like this need to be mirrored
to multiple locations, and provided for at the point where the user is most
likely to be concerned with them.  Had "Mouse Clicking" options been a part
of the "Desktop" settings I would have been 2 clicks away from gettings
things like I wanted.

The primary question that should be asked for most of the usability options
should be, "when would I most likely be thinking about tweaking this?"

Sigs for E-Mail  -- When composing a message
Mouse clicks     -- Clicking on desktop, or browsing files
K Menu Placement -- When looking at it

That single question is the one that I don't think has been asked nearly
enough on any system.  I would hope that this is the kind of question that
this project puts a laser beam focus on.

Later on,
--
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too
dark to read."