List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: optionitis
From:       "Thomas Schilling" <snuffeler () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-02-19 15:43:55

> We already have such things.  If you don't understand an option, use the
> What's This help.  The option is there to explain what it actually does;
> What's This is context-specific help to explain what it means.

But if you can't even guess what an option means you will not
even try to find it out. It's also tedius to read so much text and
finally find out that you don't need it - or do you read everything?

> > * Advanced options should be separated from simple options if possible,
> > e.g. on a separate tab.
>
> Then someone tomorrow will complain that KDE uses too many tabs.

I think it would suffice to simply put an "Advanced ..." button to any
option
that has further options for professionals.
I don't know how likely 'normal' users will be tempted to click on them
but maybe when they tried it once they will refrain from doing so.

Thomas