List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Article about Baloo
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-02-18 13:54:04

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 18 February 2014 14:30:13 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday, February 17, 2014 20:42:42 Carl Symons wrote:
> > >
> > > Just sayin' and nothing is set in stone until the release was made...
> > > I am 100 % confident in Vishesh's skills that the framework will be
> > > great
> > > but let's be honest: The name is inviting trolls...
> >
> > If we can't fix it, we should feature it.
>
> Well, that's just it. It *can* be fixed.
>
> The main problem is that any given developer can freely alter something
> that has profound PR ramifications on the whole of KDE. Given that few
> developers have experience with public communication or media relations,
> this is a recipe for disaster.
>
> Honestly, this rename should never have happened in the first place. The
> cost to KDE is significant in terms of throwing away prior public
> communication and the introduction of confusion. (This confusion is
> visible all over social media right now..)

Breathe, breathe ;-)

> In this case the developer actually went back on their word to not make the
> new name a publicly visible brand, which has compounded the issue because,
> since I trusted their word on this, there was little advance work done to
> head off the obvious fallout that would ensue, such as seen today on
> Phoronix.
>
> The talk in this thread of creating a logo/icon for Baloo is wildly
> misdirected as well. There is a logo/icon for "desktop search" in KDE
> already. Swapping it out serves none of our users and works directly
> against public communications continuity.

I agree that Baloo shouldn't have any obvious branding other than the search
thing we already have.

> If KDE wants to have a chance of presenting itself well, this approach
> needs to stop. Developers need to hand management of public branding and
> PR to people who can provide more skillful direction that ensures
> continuity.
>
> We managed to do this with artwork and other things, it can be done here as
> well. But as long as kde-promo supports the status quo by working around
> the issues instead of trying to put in place sensible methods, it is
> unlikely to happen.

I'm about half-way there with you. I agree with the principle, but as with
artwork (where developers still have plenty of say) I think this should be in
both hands at once.

Which puts (as you rightly do) the blame as much on us as anyone - we should
step up more, as marketing/promo people, when it comes to branding.

So yes, perhaps we should have said to Vishesh that Baloo is not a perfect
name.

Meanwhile, I didn't think of anything horrible and still don't feel it is
that bad *and* it seems nobody has hammered on this point yet - I suggest we
stick with it. Besides, in our communication we should indeed call it
'search' or 'semantic search' and nothing else anyway.

How about we end this discussion, push out the article asap (vishesh, any
input on things that were ported? the rest seems good to go).

Huge thanks for Stu for his excellent editing.