List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Plasma Next promo material
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-02-18 13:40:27

On Monday, February 17, 2014 16:50:17 Jens Reuterberg wrote:
> So whatever we do have to be done quickly, decided even faster and
> implemented by all. Which is the nasty bit. The upside with Plasma Next is
> that there actually is a real chance to rebrand things and that can spill
> over to other areas (Like Frameworks).
>
> The downside is that if we do that then the tie between
> KDE/Frameworks/Plasma will get even stronger... so its not a total victory
> or anything.

Getting visual unity for Plasma is already a big project to tackle, and given
the fundamentally different audiences for Frameworks and Plasma getting
something that works for both is a big ask.

As you note, having something that is fundamentally the same for both
Frameworks and Plasma would create a stronger visual tie between them which is
the opposite goal we started out to achieve.

But there's a way forward, I think: Frameworks does not require the same kind
of marketing push that Plasma does. The desktop shell(s) is something of a
flagship product for KDE and it is *very* public facing and already has an
existing public identity.

Frameworks, by contrast, is new as a stand-alone product. Its marketing needs
to focus not on general public but developers. It has little to no user
visible visual identity. So it is possible to get away with a ‘weaker'
branding for it and work it into strong shape later on.

So if you focus the scope of these efforts on just Plasma and forget about
Frameworks for now, that will allow people to make the most of the time frame
we do have without an overly large scope.

Plasma may even consider scheduling its release in part around when the Plasma
branding is ready and implemented so that it can be completed. This would
allow the branding to work more effectively on first release. This is not
something we've done in the past, but would probably be a useful improvement.
Obviously, this alignment of release-to-branding is not something that needs
doing with every incremental release; it probably only makes sense on major
releases such as the upcoming Qt5/KF5 based effort.

--
Aaron J. Seigo