List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Article about Baloo
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-02-18 13:30:13

On Monday, February 17, 2014 20:42:42 Carl Symons wrote:
> On 02/17/2014 05:03 PM, Markus Slopianka wrote:
> > On Monday 17 February 2014 23:29:47 Jos Poortvliet wrote:
> > > Let's not go there, the decision for the name was taken a long time ago.
> > > But you DID give me a good laugh... 😎
> >
> > Just sayin' and nothing is set in stone until the release was made...
> > I am 100 % confident in Vishesh's skills that the framework will be great
> > but let's be honest: The name is inviting trolls...
>
> If we can't fix it, we should feature it.

Well, that's just it. It *can* be fixed.

The main problem is that any given developer can freely alter something that
has profound PR ramifications on the whole of KDE. Given that few developers
have experience with public communication or media relations, this is a recipe
for disaster.

Honestly, this rename should never have happened in the first place. The cost
to KDE is significant in terms of throwing away prior public communication and
the introduction of confusion. (This confusion is visible all over social
media right now..)

In this case the developer actually went back on their word to not make the
new name a publicly visible brand, which has compounded the issue because,
since I trusted their word on this, there was little advance work done to head
off the obvious fallout that would ensue, such as seen today on Phoronix.

The talk in this thread of creating a logo/icon for Baloo is wildly
misdirected as well. There is a logo/icon for "desktop search" in KDE already.
Swapping it out serves none of our users and works directly against public
communications continuity.

If KDE wants to have a chance of presenting itself well, this approach needs
to stop. Developers need to hand management of public branding and PR to
people who can provide more skillful direction that ensures continuity.

We managed to do this with artwork and other things, it can be done here as
well. But as long as kde-promo supports the status quo by working around the
issues instead of trying to put in place sensible methods, it is unlikely to
happen.

--
Aaron J. Seigo