List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: Qt5 -> KDE5?
From:       Markus Slopianka <markus.s () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2011-05-09 22:35:17

Am Montag 09 Mai 2011, 18:03:18 schrieb Olivier Goffart:
> Hi,
>
> With Qt5 around the corner[1], I think it is time to start thinking about
> KDE5

Sad to see that even our own guys still don't get the rebranding even after almost \
two  years.
Qt 5 results in no need to think about "KDE5" because there will be no such thing as
"KDE4".
The only thing Qt 5 does is to enforce "KDE Platform 5" because of the broken binary
compatibility.
KDE Plasma Workspaces can stay at 4.x and build on Platform 5 unless KPW magically \
becomes  something totally different that justifies a major version jump. Change of \
the back-end  alone does IMO not justify a big version jump for KPW just as Phonon \
did not jump to 5.0  just because xine was deprecated in favor of VLC and GStreamer. \
Nothing from KPW  guaranties binary compatibility which IMO means that the user \
workflow has to change  dramatically for a big version jump.

If classic QWidgets stay, I also don't see why KDE Applications need to jump from 4.x \
to  5.0. Most will just be recompiled to use the new Platform 5 without any huge GUI
facelifts.

Markus