List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: Qt5 -> KDE5?
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-05-09 22:49:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday, 10 de May de 2011 00:35:17 Markus Slopianka wrote:
> Sad to see that even our own guys still don't get the rebranding even after
> almost two years.
> Qt 5 results in no need to think about "KDE5" because there will be no such
> thing as "KDE4".

Too late to rewrite history. There was a KDE 4 when we started it. We only
changed the meanings after the 4.0 release. I was one of the first people in
the #kde4-devel channel in 2005. I was also present at the KDE 4.0 Release
Event in Mountain View. I have a t-shirt to prove it.

But yeah, the rest of your email makes sense.

> The only thing Qt 5 does is to enforce "KDE Platform 5" because of the
> broken binary compatibility.
> KDE Plasma Workspaces can stay at 4.x and build on Platform 5 unless KPW
> magically becomes something totally different that justifies a major
> version jump. Change of the back-end alone does IMO not justify a big
> version jump for KPW just as Phonon did not jump to 5.0 just because xine
> was deprecated in favor of VLC and GStreamer. Nothing from KPW guaranties
> binary compatibility which IMO means that the user workflow has to change
> dramatically for a big version jump.
>
> If classic QWidgets stay, I also don't see why KDE Applications need to jump
> from 4.x to 5.0. Most will just be recompiled to use the new Platform 5
> without any huge GUI facelifts.

That's the objective.

There's no need to rewrite everything. Or almost anything.

      PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
      E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358