List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt5 -> KDE5?
From:       Markus Slopianka <markus.s () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2011-05-09 22:35:17

Am Montag 09 Mai 2011, 18:03:18 schrieb Olivier Goffart:
> Hi,
>
> With Qt5 around the corner[1], I think it is time to start thinking about
> KDE5

Sad to see that even our own guys still don't get the rebranding even after almost two
years.
Qt 5 results in no need to think about "KDE5" because there will be no such thing as
"KDE4".
The only thing Qt 5 does is to enforce "KDE Platform 5" because of the broken binary
compatibility.
KDE Plasma Workspaces can stay at 4.x and build on Platform 5 unless KPW magically becomes
something totally different that justifies a major version jump. Change of the back-end
alone does IMO not justify a big version jump for KPW just as Phonon did not jump to 5.0
just because xine was deprecated in favor of VLC and GStreamer. Nothing from KPW
guaranties binary compatibility which IMO means that the user workflow has to change
dramatically for a big version jump.

If classic QWidgets stay, I also don't see why KDE Applications need to jump from 4.x to
5.0. Most will just be recompiled to use the new Platform 5 without any huge GUI
facelifts.

Markus