List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] What next? (promo in usa)
From:       zahl () transbay ! net
Date:       2009-02-26 2:06:02

> Good work at SCaLE :)

Thanks. ;)

> Speaking at events is a good way to reach many people with relatively little
> manpower. Most events I know are very welcoming talks about KDE4, we got
> interesting things to show, and it's all very visual and not too abstract,
> that makes good "fun" talks.

LUGs are probably a good place to test out talks, btw... Hmm. ;)

> > > possible; the next one afaik is Northwest Linuxfest.  I recall Aaron
> >
> > Well does it make sense to have a few of the same group up there?  I think

I think there should be at least one person who has done boothwork before.
Depending on the size, possibly two. Having 5 people worked reasonably well at
SCALE: it meant that Guillermo could go and video Aaron Johnson's talk, and we
still had people at the booth. And shifts are good. Although I think we had
enough people come by, that however many of us were there, it didn't matter
because there was always somebody *else*  wanting to talk to us.

So maybe having an extra person could have been good?

> > the only thing I would like to have before that point would be more stuff
> > to hand out.  We blew through the stickers pretty fast, as well as the few
> > shirts we had.

Well, we had very few of the tiny stickers. So unsurprising. ;)

But yes, we need more swag. And preferably some of it locally produced,
because I can't imagine shipping it all from Germany is very cheap, plus our
currency isn't that great compared to yours...

> As to donations, we're currently widening the supporting membership program
> for individuals. That means donating could well happen in the form of a
> membership (basically costs you 100 euro-bucks / year).

But in the US, this isn't tax deductable because we haven't set up a non-profit.

Lots of charities here have programs where you can set up a fixed amount to be
withdrawn from your bank account monthly.

I'm not even sure if we can take checks... I doubt that people feel comfortable
leaving large amounts of cash to us. And we have no clue how exactly to get the
money back to Germany afterwards. It seems like we'd be constantly losing some
to exchange rates, etc.

> Creating a budget makes it easy for the KDE e.V. to support these activities
> so yeah ... good idea.

You can generalize from SCALE, I think.

Hotel ~100-200/night, varies how many people can share a room and depends on
comfort level

Airfare 400 round trip max if you fly Southwest (ie if it goes there)
(I'd say you can usually get half this.)

I would put those as the largest costs. If there are local people, that makes
them much smaller, obviously.

> During the board meeting, we are planning for a boothbox light

The Gnomes had something that looked like an oversize plastic suitcase crate
with massive... I'm not entirely sure how to describe it really. Very heavy
duty looking, though.

Alex Spehr