List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] What next? (promo in usa)
From:       Sebastian =?utf-8?q?K=C3=BCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-02-26 4:41:37

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 26 February 2009 03:06:02 zahl@transbay.net wrote:
> > As to donations, we're currently widening the supporting membership
> > program for individuals. That means donating could well happen in the
> > form of a membership (basically costs you 100 euro-bucks / year).
>
> But in the US, this isn't tax deductable because we haven't set up a
> non-profit.
>
> Lots of charities here have programs where you can set up a fixed amount to
> be withdrawn from your bank account monthly.
>
> I'm not even sure if we can take checks... I doubt that people feel
> comfortable leaving large amounts of cash to us. And we have no clue how
> exactly to get the money back to Germany afterwards. It seems like we'd be
> constantly losing some to exchange rates, etc.

That's exactly what the e.V. is there for, and what we're currently sorting
out :) You don't need to accept donations personally. We're also looking into
how something like this could be made tax-deductible in the US, but nothing
firm so far.

> > Creating a budget makes it easy for the KDE e.V. to support these
> > activities so yeah ... good idea.
>
> You can generalize from SCALE, I think.
>
> Hotel ~100-200/night, varies how many people can share a room and depends
> on comfort level
>
> Airfare 400 round trip max if you fly Southwest (ie if it goes there)
> (I'd say you can usually get half this.)
>
> I would put those as the largest costs. If there are local people, that
> makes them much smaller, obviously.

I know what events cost in general :D

What we need to know is what is planned in more detail, i.e. which events,
what's being done there, and so on.

> > During the board meeting, we are planning for a boothbox light
>
> The Gnomes had something that looked like an oversize plastic suitcase
> crate with massive... I'm not entirely sure how to describe it really. Very
> heavy duty looking, though.

the boothbox we have in Europe is also really heavy. It's a flight case you
see rock bands travelling with.
--
sebas