List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE Handboek
From:       "kurt pfeifle" <k1pfeifle () gmx ! net>
Date:       2009-02-13 13:14:18

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Wendy Van Craen wrote:

> > It is great that you want to print the brochures for free and a laser
> > printer is indeed the best quality on the market for home use.

No, "best quality for home use" are photo printers. Which are not lasers
technology-wise,  but ink(jet) based ones. Or thermo(sublimation)-based...

Anyway, I have serious doubts that you would want to put any of these
printers into your home (all of which are lasers):

 Digimaster 150EX (digital b+w laser):
 http://www.nexpress.com/download/pdf/digimaster/DM_family.pdf (Picture
page 2)

Ineo+ 6501 (digital color laser):
http://www.develop.de/en/products/0/82__produkte-detail.htm

Nexpress 2100 (digital color laser):

http://www.graphics.kodak.com/CA/en/Product/Printers_Presses/Digital_Color/Kodak_Nexpress_2100/default.htm

> > The printing techniques best for professional look and feel is digital
> or
> > offset.

Neither "digital" nor "offset" are complete definitions. Because laser
printing is digital as well. And "offset" may be "digital offset" or "litho
offset" or "photo offset".

I guess you did you mean "digital offset"... (?)

> > For a smaller faire laser printed brochures would be perfect, but
> > for CeBit I think we might want to have something with a more
> professional
> > look and feel...

Fine by me. Case closed.

> > So what do you think if we look for a professional printing company to
> have
> > some extra of these brochures?

OK. Go ahead.   :-)

Martin Konold wrote:

> Kurt: Are these laser prints distinguishable from digital print?

Since I don't know what "digital print" was meant to mean in this case, I
can't tell for sure. What I do know is that some "professional print shops"
are fooling their non-expert customers about what technique exactly they
sell them. (They make customers believe to get offset while indeed they
give them laser). This fooling is helped along by two factors:

            - the fact that they use a vague, non-precise language to
describe the different printing techniques
            - the fact that very good laser technique can output print
quality that indeed is better than avarage offset printing
                Experts will be able to tell differences and pinpoint the
technique used if they use a "Fadenzähler" (english: linen tester).

Good or excellent laser prints are not "professionally perfect". Just like
KDE4 isn't (yet)....  :-)

Cheers,
Kurt