List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] website banner
From:       matthias sweertvaegher <matthias.sweertvaegher () gmail ! com>
Date:       2009-02-13 13:28:06

Hi Jos, Claudia

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Jos Poortvliet
<jospoortvliet@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I'd like to know whether there would be banners available to put on websites.
>
> A few of our sites have banner-like stuff. If you dig through
> planetKDE you can find a few - I'd say pick one of those. Yes, we
> should aggregate that stuff - we just haven't gotten to that yet.
> Maybe anyone would want to spend a while on creating a single page
> with banners found around the place & links? Send it to me, I'll try
> and put it online somewhere.

Yes, I used one of the countdown banners, but now that the release
is over, I was looking for a replacement. so I was just wondering if
there would be or come in the future, some nice "official" banners :)
I think it could become quite popular :)

> > I'd really like to show my support to kde by placing some kind of
> > banner on my blog. It could be a seasonal (?) banner which announces
> > the newest upcoming major release, showing a counter, .. or just
> > general advertising for kde. Clicking on the banner would provide
> > appropriate info or related article. The url(s) would always stay the
> > same. So, the website admin puts it up once and you decide the content
> > (and trust you ;)). Ideally, the banner would be available in
> > different sizes (besides horizontal and vertical).
> >
> > On a different note, would there be some posters available which I can
> > print (A3) to pollute our office with? =)
>
> Wade J Olsen is the name you are looking for. Marketing Genius,
> Graphics Artist. Weird dude, too, but that's besides the point here.
> Blog: http://wadejolson.wordpress.com/
> Pretty pictures you can use any way you want:
> http://picasaweb.google.com/wadejolson/WhatDoesKDEMeanToYou#

yes, I love his work :)
I was looking for more portrait layouted posters though, but I guess one
could get there by getting a bit creative ;)
I also quite like some of the what powers your gear series, but they
seem less suitable for printing to me.
Don't look back is also great (I adore the sheep one!!) but not appealing
to people who don't know the history behind the kde4.0 release. they
wouldn't understand the humor :)

anyway, at fosdem last year, I saw a very big KDE poster (portrait layout)
and wondered if there were more like that and maybe available online.

> Hint: printed on small postcard-like papers they are incredibly
> cool... Not less so in big sizes, of course :D

that's actually a great tip! I took a look yesterday and couldn't decide
which one to print.. so let's just print them all on small size and scatter
them throughout the office! =) heheheh, very nice tip.

thanks for your time!
cu

matthias