List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE4. www4?
From:       Sebastian Kuegler <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-03-21 11:40:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Answering to the WWW-related part of your email in a different email]

On Thursday 13 March 2008 20:32:50 Giovanni Venturi wrote:
> The promotion is not so syncronized. If we consider the last 2 kde4 release
> (4.0.1, 4.0.2) the announce was ready in too short time from the release
> day... The kde 4.0.2 announce was ready 1-2 days before the release. And
> then all the translations was delayed of days. The local websites reported
> old news about the kde 4.0.2 release while the blogs around the world
> reported the release announce in time. I don't want to point on people
> because all people have their things and could not have always the time to
> do the things. Don't worry. This is not a problem, but I think we should
> get more coordinations. There should be a ready announce 7-10 days before
> the release date.

Can you help to write it? The problem with writing the announcement is
usually:

- someone has to do it
- the earlier you do it, the more things are missing in the changelog

I do agree that we can do better (much better), and I will really try.

> Another thing I don't like is that we have to refresh http://dot.kde.org/
> all the day to know when KDE X.Y.Z has been released and just then publish
> the transalted announce on the local KDE website (if someone had time to
> translate it in time). And we cannot publish directly the day that has been
> decided (for example after midnight). This are my thoughts. Can we do
> something to avoid these problems and syncronize promotion?

Proposed solutions:

- Subscribe to kde-announce
- Put Italian translation along with others on www.kde.org

One of the above should be enough.

One day is not fine-grained enough, there are a couple of strings that need to
be pulled for a release, those are:

- synching to FTP servers
- announcement on www
- announcement on The Dot
- (pre-)announcement for the press channel
- announcement on kde-announce list
--
sebas