List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo]  Still und heimlich: alle 3.000 Arbeitsplaetze in
From:       "Kurt Pfeifle" <kpfeifle () danka ! de>
Date:       2003-06-12 10:35:49

Charles de Miramon wrote:

> Le Jeudi 12 Juin 2003 11:49, Kurt Pfeifle a écrit :
>
> > ----------
> > FYI....
> > ----------
> >

> If I understood right (my German is patchy):

Sorry, I posted this only by accident to this English-speaking list.

> the finance minister of the
> State of Bavaria announced that the the 3000 workers of the Bavarian cadastre

"cadastre" ?

> will switch to Linux not only for financial reasons but also for security
> reasons.

No. He announced that they *have* switched already. The switch is
completed.

Here is my best attempt for a complete translation
for this official press release (original at
http://www.stmf.bayern.de/default.asp?url=aktuelles/pressemitteilungen/pm/2003_140.asp):

Bayerisches Staatsministerium der Finanzen Startseite -- 11. Juni 2003 \
Pressemitteilung 140/2003

Faltlhauser: Bavarian Administration for Geographical Measurements relies on Linux \
Operating System

"All 79 Offices of the Bavarian Administration for Geographical Measurements work now \
with the Linux Operating System. This means that the Measurements Administration is \
the first state admin body in Germany which has decided for a complete setup of its \
IT infrastructure based on Linux." informed Finance Minister Kurt Faltlhauser on \
Wednesday (11.6.) in Munich

Vital for the decision, to migrate the 3.000 workstations in the Measurement \
Administration, were (according to Faltlhauser) not just the financial aspects, but \
also security concerns. Also, the pre-conditions for the movement to Linux in this \
unit were favourable because it was using Open-Source-Software already for a longer \
time, and because it had accumulated experience from running Linux servers.

In sync with the Migration to Linux, all Computer-based office desks were provided \
with Internet access. "I am glad to see the employees of the Measurement \
Administration enjoy now even more improved working conditions. This way we ensure a \
most efficient work which is friendly to our citizens", declared Faltlhauser.

> I guess another Suse Desktop deal... so we can expect KDE on their desktop.

Not necessarily....

We should try to find out.

> After the Munich deal, I wouldn't like to be in the shoes of the top
> executive of Microsoft Bavaria...
>
> Cheers,
> Charles

Cheers,