Charles de Miramon wrote: > Le Jeudi 12 Juin 2003 11:49, Kurt Pfeifle a écrit : > >>---------- >> FYI.... >>---------- >> > > > If I understood right (my German is patchy): Sorry, I posted this only by accident to this English-speaking list. > the finance minister of the > State of Bavaria announced that the the 3000 workers of the Bavarian cadastre "cadastre" ? > will switch to Linux not only for financial reasons but also for security > reasons. No. He announced that they *have* switched already. The switch is completed. Here is my best attempt for a complete translation for this official press release (original at http://www.stmf.bayern.de/default.asp?url=aktuelles/pressemitteilungen/pm/2003_140.asp): Bayerisches Staatsministerium der Finanzen Startseite -- 11. Juni 2003 Pressemitteilung 140/2003 Faltlhauser: Bavarian Administration for Geographical Measurements relies on Linux Operating System "All 79 Offices of the Bavarian Administration for Geographical Measurements work now with the Linux Operating System. This means that the Measurements Administration is the first state admin body in Germany which has decided for a complete setup of its IT infrastructure based on Linux." informed Finance Minister Kurt Faltlhauser on Wednesday (11.6.) in Munich Vital for the decision, to migrate the 3.000 workstations in the Measurement Administration, were (according to Faltlhauser) not just the financial aspects, but also security concerns. Also, the pre-conditions for the movement to Linux in this unit were favourable because it was using Open-Source-Software already for a longer time, and because it had accumulated experience from running Linux servers. In sync with the Migration to Linux, all Computer-based office desks were provided with Internet access. "I am glad to see the employees of the Measurement Administration enjoy now even more improved working conditions. This way we ensure a most efficient work which is friendly to our citizens", declared Faltlhauser. > I guess another Suse Desktop deal... so we can expect KDE on their desktop. Not necessarily.... We should try to find out. > After the Munich deal, I wouldn't like to be in the shoes of the top > executive of Microsoft Bavaria... > > Cheers, > Charles Cheers, Kurt _______________________________________________ This message is from the kde-promo mailing list. Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-promo to unsubscribe, set digest on or temporarily stop your subscription.