List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] today's Gnossip
From:       Jono Bacon <jonobacon_lists () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-02-26 0:23:54

On Monday 25 February 2002 7:08 pm, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Monday 25 February 2002 02:40 am, Jono Bacon wrote:
> > I am more than happy to contribute to these efforts. Although GNOME may
> > have the money from Sun and support from Ximian - I only really see Sun a
> > a real thing to be concerned about - I feel Ximian will go the same way
> > as Eazel.
>
> No, I don't think so. Ximian positions itself more as development partner
> and is or will be able to draw revenue from that. They can still outspend
> themselves but they seem to have the business side of things much better
> covered than Eazel ever had.

I disagree - I feel that Ximian don't have a solid business plan - they don't
appear to have a clear product path; sure they contribute to GNOME and they
have developed Evolution, the Exchange plugin and some setup tools - but
where do they actually get revenue - maybe it is just a business model that
has yet to prove itself to me.

Nontheless...Ximian's role in GNOME development is still important in that
commercially orientated things may get in there before the equivilent in KDE.
I do feel though that the purist approach to KDE with no sworn in leaders and
such is better in the long run; also KDE is fundamentally simpler for many
users - hence it's adoption by many distros.

	Jono