List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] today's Gnossip
From:       Jono Bacon <jonobacon_lists () yahoo ! co ! uk>
Date:       2002-02-25 10:40:51

On Monday 25 February 2002 8:40 am, Chris Howells wrote:
> > From: Navindra Umanee <navindra@cs.mcgill.ca>
> >
> > On the flip size, there has been quite an increase in trolls on
> > dot.kde.org.  It almost seems like a concerted effort.  Some guy
> > (joe99, who used to troll the dot as dude13 before) is going around
> > plastering a *huge* essay and various other trolls/obscenities about
> > "KDE Myths" on the dot and elsewhere.  At least 4 other individual
> > trollers using various nicks and IPs have been pinpointed.
>
> Well, at the moment we seem to allow anonymous posting of comments to the
> dot. Would it be possible to only allow people that have registered to
> post? This wouldn't help fully, but I'm sure it would help a bit.
>
> > Ironically, joe99's main accusation is that KDE has a propaganda
> > machine, while *we* bitch all day about having no PR. :-)
>
> Hehehe ;)

I think the problem we have had in terms of PR is in the direction we need to
take. I am not aware of any formalised PR effort, and maybe this is something
that needs attention.

I have not hidden my concerns in some areas of the KDE League (as others
have), but now is the time more than ever when we really need the League -
Andreas is a valuable member of the KDE PR team, but so are Nav, Waldo, Chris
and others.

I think what we need is some kind of plan in which we will focus on fully
PR'ing KDE. Things I am thinking of include:

	-	Building promotional materials - some of which Tacket has worked on.

	-	Organising planned seminars and events and online events. We could organise
talks and demonstrations of KDE which people could perform locally to local
companies.

	-	Publishing talks given by KDE reps at events.

	-	Contact companies regarding KDE support - discuss with charities and
educational establishments how KDE can improve their resource allocation and
TCO.

I am more than happy to contribute to these efforts. Although GNOME may have
the money from Sun and support from Ximian - I only really see Sun a a real
thing to be concerned about - I feel Ximian will go the same way as Eazel.

We do need a level of industry support for KDE - I am working on a few
projects at the moment regarding this, but we could do with more - also I
feel business cases and itnerviews published at enterprise.kde.org could do
with more exposure. These cases influence others to use KDE.

Finally....let us not forget that people havent used or seen KDE3.0 yet. This
adds yet more functionality while we still have a backlog of patches for 3.1
building up.

I didn't get involved with KDE to be on the losing side of the desktop
battle...KDE is a better desktop that is easier to use and more functional;
the trolls, gnomes and suns cannot take this from us.

	Jono