List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] today's Gnossip
From:       Navindra Umanee <navindra () cs ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2002-02-25 16:51:51

Hi,

Technical details aside, I've grown to like the current ease of use of
the dot.  No stupid registration and so on, but back to your point.

Chris Howells <chrish@gmx.co.uk> wrote:
> Well, at the moment we seem to allow anonymous posting of comments to the
> dot. Would it be possible to only allow people that have registered to
> post? This wouldn't help fully, but I'm sure it would help a bit.

Actually, we do have anti-troll measures in place, *you* just don't
notice them which in my book is a good thing.  So while the trolls pay
a penalty, I don't believe anti-troll measures should penalize our
other innocent users.  Judging by the number of legitimate comments
from anonymous users vs trolls, I don't think it would be justified.

It may certainly reach the point where we will have to require
registration, but I think we're far away from that.  And as I've
mentioned before, almost no one is truly anonymous on the web.
Anonimizers can be dealt with too. ;)

Cheers,
-N.