List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Negative feedback about KDE non-openmindednessingerman
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2002-02-25 10:03:24

Philippe FREMY wrote:

> > Some things I can:
> >
> > (1) correspondence
>
> I am sure we could help you there. Let's set-up a mailing list, private or
> public, you decide, where all contacts made to KDELeague could be easily
> answered. By cc-ing to this list when you answer, you could transmit the
> culture of the KDE organisation. This is how we all have learnt the KDE
> culture.

handling requests for support from the KDE League.  Please let me know
if you would like to subscribe to it (it's open for posting but closed
for receiving).

I should probably also start "kdeleague-questions" or, anybody have a
better name for general inquiries?

> > (2) recruitment
> You are recruiting ? Can I apply ? What profiles are you looking for ?
> Anyway, I don't think we can help you there.

Hehe, I mean recruiting new members for the League ;-).  Of course
anybody can help there, just please don't say you represent the KDE
League unless you are in fact doing that at the time (I am always very
careful, even in emails like this I say I write for myself).

> > (3) press releases
> We have the "Andreas touch" now for the KDE press releases, which are very
> good. But you could certainly create a list of tips on what makes a good
> press release. We could even try to write one. Although the Press release
> for the Fosdem has not been used, it was quite good.

Is this one I have a copy of on my long TODO list?

> > (4) website
> Which websites are you maintaining ? You could certainly pass on maintenance
> of few of them. Especially promo.kde.org and the system list is probably not
> that difficult to maintain. In the 200 "I want to help but I know only html
> or php" people, certainly some of them could do the stuff that takes time,
> with you checking only that it was done correctly.

For the League, the main sites would be www.kdeleague.org (though most
work in the past has involved stuff like invoices, online voting, and
stuff like that, which is already done now; the more
public-interface-like-stuff, such as a support request page, the
"League" diary, etc. still need work and in general the League website
could use some creative input).

The promo systems page is, right, not much work, but of course, there is
no reason the site should not have a lot more info, such as kde-events,
more information on how to get involved (I have written up an editorial
for this once, it's almost done, someone could use that and polish it),
etc.

> > (5) bookkeeping/filing/corporate stuff
> What is it exactly ?

Paying bills, paying checks, filing statements, renewing the annual
franchise, you know, bookkeeping.  Every company does it, and although
it's all little things, when you have run a company, you realize it adds
up to several hours per week at least.

> > (6) various legal issues
> Okay, you are probably on your own here.
>
> > (7) organizing/attending shows
> Really ?

??

> > (8) interviews
> We have already help. Are you doing interviews that we are not aware of ? Or
> do you mean you are being interviewed ?

I am being interviewed.

> > (9) brochures on KDE (some work on that)
>
> > (10) one project, the KDE desktop tour, needs more work - basically a
> > bunch of screenshots in some organized way, needs to be
> > organized better
> Layout a draft and perhaps someone will pick it up. Although I don't think
> it will happen.

Well, it's not public, so the interest comes first, then the URL.  If it
were public, I would have announced it already ;-).

[ ... ]

> > Well, the League can help with that.  A nice structural organization
> > would be:
> >
> > League
> > >
> > Global Events Coordinator
> > / | \
> > /  |  \
> > LEC1 LEC2 LEC3
> >
> > where LEC = "Local Events Coordinator".  That way the League can make
> > funding decisions, and the Global Events Coordinator can deal with
> > coordinating the Local Events Coordinators (per-country basis
> > or so) and making sure they obtain the proper resources out of the
> > allocated budget and available resources.
>
> We probably should just ask the poeple who have already organised events to
> subscribe to kde-events.

That could be the LEC people, but somebody (I thought and hope) wanted
to help as the GEC, thereby negating the need for me to deal with these
issues on kde-events (I do subscribe but reading is a lot less time than
corresponding, as I'm sure we all know).  This person would presumably
interface with the League (to get funding approved for the local LECs)
and the local LECs (to let them know what to expect, to work at
allocating the resources fairly depending on need and expected benefits,
etc.).  In essence the GEC would manage the League budget for shows,
however much that ends up being, and would help the League determine the
need for show funding.

> I suggest you write down a more deatiled paper with all the tasks where you
> think help could be effectively used.

I am not at all liking the "Dre does more" approach ;-).  I think I have
laid out enough for people to work with, if someone works on something
and gets stuck I will gladly help, but I have about 100 things on my
TODO list right now . . . .

> I look at the promo.kde.org website and a wave of discouragement passes on
> me. The website is just very good. I wonder why all the people that read it
> don't just come to help.

LOL!!  You have read my mind, friend!

Ciao,

Dre