List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Negative feedback about KDE non-openmindedness in  german Heise-Forum
From:       Neil Stevens <neil () qualityassistant ! com>
Date:       2002-02-21 4:54:46

On Wednesday February 20, 2002 08:23, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 February 2002 15:36, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> > On Wednesday 20 February 2002 14:49, Eva Brucherseifer wrote:
> > ..
> >
> > > it is not really clear who decides what in KDE. There are rumours
> > > about some kde-private mailing list where some old gurus decide
> > > things...
> >
> > Sorry, Eva, but I do not believe in such rumours.
>
> People who are on this kde-private list told me. Maybe some of the
> people of this kde-private list want to comment this?

I've been told of two private, unarchived lists:  one that writes press
releases, and one that manages binary packaging.  This other one is news
to me, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  The number of lists involved
is almost enough to spark some paranoia, except that 1) KDE is free
software 2) the kde-*devel and kde-cvs mailing lists make clear that
private lists aren't controlling development.

> On this list we several times discussed the KDE League and KDE e.V.
> topic - acutally we never got an answer. I also phoned Chris and asked
> hime directly, but I only got the information, that it will come soon
> (that was one year ago). I asked Ralf and Torsten what money is in KDE
> e.V., I asked what happens with the money, who decides on what to spend.
> There I heard the first time about kde-private...

I've been assured that KDE e.V. is in the process of making up a webpage
and trying to go more public with what it is, and what it does, even to
the point of having been given the url of the in-progress webpage.

Yes, it's been a while, but I just assume that KDE e.V. does such things
slowly because the people involved have more important things to do -
working on or promoting KDE itself.

> > Being a bit involved in two KDE projects (KMail and KChart) I can tell
> > you that, yes, the people making decisions there _are_ the people
> > doing the work!
>
> But are you also deciding about how to spend the money that was given
> because of your excelent work to the KDE League? Do you decide how
> promotion is made?

I'll point out that KDE e.V. controls the KDE League. The League bylaws
specifically give KDE e.V. enough votes on the board to take charge.  And
in theory e.V. is controlled by developers.

So, if you want openness, ask the e.V. guys to finish the webpage, and
then through the e.V. you can get to the League.

--
Neil Stevens
neil@qualityassistant.com

Don't think of a bug as a problem.  Think of it as a call to action.