List:       kde-promo
Subject:    closed mailing lists (Re: [kde-promo] Negative feedback about KDE non-openmindedness in  german Heis
From:       Navindra Umanee <navindra () cs ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2002-02-21 5:37:40

Neil Stevens <neil@qualityassistant.com> wrote:
> I've been told of two private, unarchived lists:  one that writes press
> releases, and one that manages binary packaging.  This other one is news

The kde-pr list is all but dead and is used (rarely) for PR reviews.

All the discussion that used to happen on kde-pr has been moved here
(or sometimes the closed dot list), and I'm sure most people will
note that I, for one, do not mince words on kde-promo.  :-)

> to me, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.  The number of lists involved
> is almost enough to spark some paranoia, except that 1) KDE is free
> software 2) the kde-*devel and kde-cvs mailing lists make clear that
> private lists aren't controlling development.

I agree.  Historically, the kde-private list has existed since the
dawn of time and is no secret.  Miguel de Icaza was mighty pissed of
this when he was still trolling the KDE lists/irc.

Of course, Miguel quickly implemented the same thing for GNOME except
that it was worse because he closed off the main gnome-hackers list.
That changed a long time ago, when gnome-hackers was made public, and
they got a proper gnome-private.

Later,
-N.