List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Negative feedback about KDE non-openmindedness in german
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2002-02-21 2:09:58

Hi,

I am certainly reading the discussion, but I hesitate to comment because
I do not feel comfortable speaking on behalf of the League.  To do that,
I need to have further discussions with the League members.  I plan to
do this in conjunction with the annual meeting which will occur in the
next month or so, and at that point I can offer an "official" response.

What you need to realize is that there really is not much money in the
League.  Our total annual budget is about the cost of a one-page-ad in a
printed magazine.  We try to do as much with that as possible, but there
is no way for us to compete with the $1 billion advertising campaigns
which Microsoft launches.

Absent money, the other way to get the League to do more is for
volunteers to contribute time.  The only one doing that right now is
me.  If all the energy that has been spent complaining about the KDE
League had been put into making a brochure, we would have a really nice
brochure now.

As to publishing the League budget, I would just point out that this
requires a League vote.  I personally don't favor it because of the
scarcity of my time.  To do this (or its cousin, reporting what the
League has done) takes time, not just in getting the approvals and
making the presentation, but then in having to respond to emails from
anyone who thinks they have a better way to spend the money, of which I
anticipate there would be a lot (this thread being just one small
snapshot of how everyone is interested when money is involved).  This is
my free time, and that is not how I wish to spend it.  I already get so
many emails to deal with that it's becoming an (unintentional) DOS
attack.  I think I can contribute to KDE much more effectively in other
ways.

But if someone wants to take on the role of answering emails, and doing
it responsibly and accurately, including all the background research,
discussions and considerations that entails, please, send me a concrete,
credible proposal, along with your experience with such matters, and I
will work on making this possible.

Also, it would really help to have more community input into budgeting.
Again, I don't have the time to manage this adequately.   If someone
wants to volunteer, in a credible way, with a long-term commitment, to
maintain a "KDE League Outreach" or similar page on the KDE League site,
in which you solicit community feedback and prepare a written
presentation for the membership, that would be a quite valuable
contribution.

I do what I can already, even if not everything I do is visible.

Ciao,

Dre
/signing as Dre means I speak only for myself/