List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Negative feedback about KDE non-openmindedness in  german Heise-Forum
From:       Thorsten =?iso-8859-15?q?K=F6rner?= <thorstenkoerner () thorsti ! org>
Date:       2002-02-20 14:58:07

Hi

Am Mittwoch, 20. Februar 2002 15:03 schrieb Karl-Heinz Zimmer:
> On Wednesday 20 February 2002 14:35, Thorsten Körner wrote:
> > Am Mittwoch, 20. Februar 2002 13:48 schrieb Karl-Heinz Zimmer:
>
> http://heise.de/newsticker/foren/go.shtml?read=1&msg=878&g=200202
> 19jk003
>
> > > My 'problem' is not that they decided to work together with
> > > the Gnome people but the reasons _why_ they made this
> > > decision.
> >
> > ACK. I think this shows us, that the people around Miguel are
> > much more professional.
>
> I am not sure that this is correct.  Maybe you are right, maybe
> not.
>
> What the writer of the above linked posting is telling is that
> they could more easy cooperate with the Gnome people and that
> they like the way those people are...
>
> I am not sure if the reason is their being 'more professional' -
> to me it looks like they just _listened_ _more_ _carefully_ to
> that guy.

IMHO things like cooperation and carefull attention to the wishes
of possible Partners are very __essential__ for being professional
in the case of an economical professional.

> But, OK, this is an aspect of being professional, that's right.
>
> > If there are some plans to make KDE usefull for professional
> > Desktops and Offices, the developer must listen to requirements
> > of the Companies.
>
> I agree to your point but I do not agree to your 'must'.
>
> The developers 'must' nothing but try to have fun while coding,
> talking, making plans...

I said 'must', because I mean __must__. Of course not every
volunteer Developer must be a professional negotiation-partner for
a big company, but if there is _no_ partner, who spends some time
to this things, I cannot see a big future of KDE on all the
Company-Desktops. It's not only a problem of KDE, there much other
projects with problems like that, but KDE is a big and nearly
perfect structured organization, so that should not be a problem to
organize a structure to deal with 'wishlists of a company or
organisation' and to find people to negotiate and speak to them.

> But perhaps you could say: "The developers should consider
> listening a bit more carefully to business users or other
> professionals asking for improvements or asking for some kind of
> cooperation."
>
> Cooperation with a company in not necessarrily bad.  :-)
For some developers, it could be the "big Chance", and at may be
good for the whole project.

> Of course: Allowing a company to become dominant about the
> project _would_ be bad, but to me it does not look like that was
> a big risk in the case the above mentioned link discussed.
ACK. In this case, the project should not loose control over the
work, but accept that a company will probably have some own
interests, but that must not become dominant if both partners are
in open discussion. A partnership like that (I say partnership,
because noone should have control over the other), may not be
effectiv for KMines and KBattleship, but it would be very usefull
for things like Office-Integration. Because there is a chance to
develop and test it under very real conditions.

> > Ignorance will not be usefull in this case (in no case).
>
> That's right, seems some people were not so happy about that man
> asking for cooperation and it seems they did not act in a very
> diplomatical way when expressing their feelings...

Diplomacy seems not to be modern in this times :-(

> To me it looks like this:
>
> (-) It is nonsense to agree to everything because you hope that
> the planned cooperation with company X will push your project and
> improve your position.
>
> (+) It is wise NOT to say NO toooo fast if somebody asks for ways
> of cooperation with her/his company: Not every company is
> evil-minded.
ACK. I would additional say: It's generally not wise to think in
extremes. The "well balanced" way in the middle would be the right
way :-)

CU
Thorsten
--