List:       kde-promo
Subject:    RE: [kde-promo] Negative feedback about KDE non-openmindedness in
From:       Philippe FREMY <P.FREMY () OBERTHURCS ! com>
Date:       2002-02-20 14:54:23

> professional presentation. Often I propose things and then comes some ok
or
> not ok... without real arguments.

This lack of transparency is really problematic.

> The KDE League should maintain the list - and yes, someone
> needs to be paid to handle all this, since it needs to be _very_
professional.
> The first impression make the game.
>
> Right now KDE is unprofessional!

I entirely agree from a promotion point of view. I hoped this list and the
KDE League would change something. It has, but not much.

And it is a pity because from a develpment point of view, KDE is very
professional. Miguel handles all the "customer" and the public relation very
well. He certainly know how to run a business and make a good presentation
that will impress people/clients.

I would also make a lot more usability reports if I were sure that
developers would listen to my complaints. And they are not "I want stuff
like that" but more "This is unusable for someone not already familiar with
it". For example, theme management completely sucks and this is a problem
that should be addressed (Qt styles, widget themes, icon themes, window
manager themes, window buttons, what's all this ?).

> On the kde-solaris list we have quite a number of sysadmins
> that already now  install KDE on the company's SUN machines. And some
names are
> very well known...

If only they could convince Sun to make KDE their desktop of choice. Or give
something back.

The biggest problem of KDE is that it depends on very few people doing all
the important thing. It ends up with always the same person doing what needs
to be done. 2 main contributors to KOffice, 3 developers for KDevelop,
despite the fact that those are in the most praised KDE applications. The
same goes for booth organisation. All the success are due to some people
devoting their entire time to an event (Gerard Delafond for the Paris Linux
Espo). They have no support from KDE itself, in term of help for
organisation, equipment, ...

	regards,

	Philippe