List:       kde-pim
Subject:    request for abbrowser change
From:       Gregory Stern <stern () enews ! nrl ! navy ! mil>
Date:       2001-05-02 20:00:46

Hello.  Given that syncing to kab via abbrowser appears to be working (I've
heard no complaints yet, so either it's working and people are happy or no
one's attempted to use it), I was wondering if anyone has time to add at
least minimal functionality of folders into abbrowser.

Right now when the palm pilot is syncing, it is storing the folder string in
a field called "X-Folder" (see the ContactEntry class, getFolder() and
setFolder()).  Abbrowser assumes it is just a custom field, however I would
like abbrowser to actually use the folder entry and display the contacts
accordingly.  I would be fine with at least the functionality that the palm
pilot address application has:
  1. view all addresses
  2. view addresses of a particular folder
  3. view all unfilled adddresses.

I think we should seriously consider adding a folder tree.  Perhaps abbrowser
could actually be a split pane, with the left half being a QListView of the
folders.  I know this a pie in the sky wish, but we at least need the
functionality that I enumerated above.

Does anyone have time to code this?

Also, I want to start to talk about creating use cases and eventually
architecting the KabDaemon that has been previously discussed.  I'm going to
email describing the functionality that is required by all.  I'll try to get
that email out before I travel and move.

Cheers,

--
- Greg Stern
   Naval Research Lab