List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10
From:       "O. Sinclair" <sinclair () orionweb ! info>
Date:       2013-05-07 8:48:15

On Tuesday 07 May 2013 10:13 AM Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> Hi Martin,
> =

> On Monday 06 May 2013 21.42:17 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > True to tradition, we spent a good amount of time talking about when =
it
> > > would be time to go out and tell the world to give KDE PIM a try. At =
the
> > > sprint there was unanimous agreement it is time to dispend with this
> > > tradition.
> > =

> > Whats the current state with this marketing blocker collection?
> =

> Someone would have to find time to go through the list and see what has b=
een
> resolved. I know that at least the major issue I reported remains, and
> suspect it is true for some others.
> =

> Unfortunately I lack the time to go through the list right now.
> =

> Volunteers would be rather welcome.
> =

> > I wouldn=B4t use it as a mail solution in a company right now for examp=
le.
> =

> Actually I think it's the other way around.
> =

> I would perhaps *only* use it in a company, or follow the same practices.
> =

> This is how my wife is using it for years now, in production, with only
> minor
> issues. Let me explain:
> > And I think main show stopper are still correctness, consistency issues,
> > unhelpful error messages / notifications during daily use - like mail
> > cannot be moved or deleted with a maildir mail file name and no reason =
as
> > to *why* or way to fix it up.
> =

> In my experience, maildir is hardly a corporate feature, it's all in IMAP
> for the same reasons filtering is done on the server (see below). Likewise
> POP3 is largely irrelevant in a properly set up and maintained corporate
> installation.
> > 1) No automatic filtering at all.
> > 2) No CRM114 spam filter rules, also not manually.
> =

> In a company, that would largely be done server side as you would *not* w=
ant
> to rely on desktop-side filtering due to the fact that you're also pushing
> mail to mobile and want filtering to have taken place before that.
> =

> Sieve editing is definitely not good in KDE PIM right now, but then often
> companies would deploy server side Sieve editors - Kolab for instance has=
> pretty good one.
> =

> We're looking into also providing this kind of editing for KDE PIM, but f=
or
> the moment there is a workaround which is corporate friendly, as many
> [...]

Well well. For starters IMAP and Exchange works best when you live in a =

connected environment. Some of us, actually still the major parts of the =

globe, live with slow and expensive internet. We want client-side working =

solutions. We do not depend on a "cloud". We fall asleep waiting for IMAP =

sync. I have all my mail on my laptop and use pop and a good backup. And so =

does my around 100 clients in 5 countries.

So I really disagree. And my wife does. She uses thunderbird, plain and =

working. Whatever files she saves are nomally dumped on the desktop. No =

tagging (have you ever heard of anyone non-IT actually taggin files). =

Searching for mail works wonderfully. =

I am sorry, I am a KDEPIM fanboy but like many others I ask -where did the =

whole database search concept come from? I never search for email outside t=
he =

client, why would I?

While I sometimes disagree with Martin I admire his strong devotion to hunt =

bugs. While I agree wiith the devs I also have to question the foundation: =
why =

and who use the database computer concept? Who tags their files? The most-u=
sed =

is "recent opened" files.

Had to vent.

Orjan Sinclair