List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] Marketing blocker collection, DEADLINE: 2013-03-10
From:       "Georg C. F. Greve" <greve () kolabsys ! com>
Date:       2013-05-07 8:13:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Martin,

On Monday 06 May 2013 21.42:17 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > True to tradition, we spent a good amount of time talking about when it
> > would be time to go out and tell the world to give KDE PIM a try. At the
> > sprint there was unanimous agreement it is time to dispend with this
> > tradition.
>
> Whats the current state with this marketing blocker collection?

Someone would have to find time to go through the list and see what has been
resolved. I know that at least the major issue I reported remains, and suspect
it is true for some others.

Unfortunately I lack the time to go through the list right now.

Volunteers would be rather welcome.

> I wouldn´t use it as a mail solution in a company right now for example.

Actually I think it's the other way around.

I would perhaps *only* use it in a company, or follow the same practices.

This is how my wife is using it for years now, in production, with only minor
issues. Let me explain:

> And I think main show stopper are still correctness, consistency issues,
> unhelpful error messages / notifications during daily use - like mail cannot
> be moved or deleted with a maildir mail file name and no reason as to *why*
> or way to fix it up.

In my experience, maildir is hardly a corporate feature, it's all in IMAP for
the same reasons filtering is done on the server (see below). Likewise POP3 is
largely irrelevant in a properly set up and maintained corporate installation.

> 1) No automatic filtering at all.
> 2) No CRM114 spam filter rules, also not manually.

In a company, that would largely be done server side as you would *not* want
to rely on desktop-side filtering due to the fact that you're also pushing mail
to mobile and want filtering to have taken place before that.

Sieve editing is definitely not good in KDE PIM right now, but then often
companies would deploy server side Sieve editors - Kolab for instance has a
pretty good one.

We're looking into also providing this kind of editing for KDE PIM, but for
the moment there is a workaround which is corporate friendly, as many
companies lock down the Sieve port for good reasons: They do not want users to
use anything but the officially supported path to edit Sieve scripts, as there
are too many ways to generate support requests otherwise.

Likewise spam filtering is done on the server through Sieve.

> I am also asking due to "kde-pim hopeless?" thread in kdepim-users. I do not
> think it is. But I see that it has only few developers who work really
> hard. I think about how users can help, maybe some bug triaging. I try to
> isolate repeatable testcases for the gravest bugs I found as time permits.
> Testing and reproducing takes quite some time too.

I realize that, and understand, even share, some of the frustration.

The problem is that "every feature gets in" and "every feature needs to be
enterprise ready" are impossible goals to pursue simultaneously.

And the desire to use KDE PIM professionally in corporate environments puts
the priority on those features that are used in the corporate environment.
Others will necessarily mature slower.

You can only speed up the entire cycle, which happens through adoption, which
is what we're working on. What the KDE PIM community can do to that end is to
help get rid of the worst showstoppers and experience blockers, which is
exactly what people are working on.

But then KDE PIM is the most powerful of all the clients. By some margin.

That means there is just a lot of work.

But then: KDE PIM has matured noticeably. So there is progress. It's just that
all of us would like it to be faster, a feeling we share with most users.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve