On Tuesday 07 May 2013 10:13 AM Georg C. F. Greve wrote: > Hi Martin, > = > On Monday 06 May 2013 21.42:17 Martin Steigerwald wrote: > > > True to tradition, we spent a good amount of time talking about when = it > > > would be time to go out and tell the world to give KDE PIM a try. At = the > > > sprint there was unanimous agreement it is time to dispend with this > > > tradition. > > = > > Whats the current state with this marketing blocker collection? > = > Someone would have to find time to go through the list and see what has b= een > resolved. I know that at least the major issue I reported remains, and > suspect it is true for some others. > = > Unfortunately I lack the time to go through the list right now. > = > Volunteers would be rather welcome. > = > > I wouldn=B4t use it as a mail solution in a company right now for examp= le. > = > Actually I think it's the other way around. > = > I would perhaps *only* use it in a company, or follow the same practices. > = > This is how my wife is using it for years now, in production, with only > minor > issues. Let me explain: > > And I think main show stopper are still correctness, consistency issues, > > unhelpful error messages / notifications during daily use - like mail > > cannot be moved or deleted with a maildir mail file name and no reason = as > > to *why* or way to fix it up. > = > In my experience, maildir is hardly a corporate feature, it's all in IMAP > for the same reasons filtering is done on the server (see below). Likewise > POP3 is largely irrelevant in a properly set up and maintained corporate > installation. > > 1) No automatic filtering at all. > > 2) No CRM114 spam filter rules, also not manually. > = > In a company, that would largely be done server side as you would *not* w= ant > to rely on desktop-side filtering due to the fact that you're also pushing > mail to mobile and want filtering to have taken place before that. > = > Sieve editing is definitely not good in KDE PIM right now, but then often > companies would deploy server side Sieve editors - Kolab for instance has= a > pretty good one. > = > We're looking into also providing this kind of editing for KDE PIM, but f= or > the moment there is a workaround which is corporate friendly, as many > companies lock down the Sieve port for good reasons: They do not want use= rs > to use anything but the officially supported path to edit Sieve scripts, = as > there are too many ways to generate support requests otherwise. > = > Likewise spam filtering is done on the server through Sieve. > = > > I am also asking due to "kde-pim hopeless?" thread in kdepim-users. I do > > not think it is. But I see that it has only few developers who work > > really hard. I think about how users can help, maybe some bug triaging.= I > > try to isolate repeatable testcases for the gravest bugs I found as time > > permits. Testing and reproducing takes quite some time too. > = > I realize that, and understand, even share, some of the frustration. > = > The problem is that "every feature gets in" and "every feature needs to be > enterprise ready" are impossible goals to pursue simultaneously. > = > And the desire to use KDE PIM professionally in corporate environments pu= ts > the priority on those features that are used in the corporate environment. > Others will necessarily mature slower. > = > You can only speed up the entire cycle, which happens through adoption, > which is what we're working on. What the KDE PIM community can do to that > end is to help get rid of the worst showstoppers and experience blockers, > which is exactly what people are working on. > = > But then KDE PIM is the most powerful of all the clients. By some margin. > = > That means there is just a lot of work. > = > But then: KDE PIM has matured noticeably. So there is progress. It's just > that all of us would like it to be faster, a feeling we share with most > users. > = > Best regards, > Georg Well well. For starters IMAP and Exchange works best when you live in a = connected environment. Some of us, actually still the major parts of the = globe, live with slow and expensive internet. We want client-side working = solutions. We do not depend on a "cloud". We fall asleep waiting for IMAP = sync. I have all my mail on my laptop and use pop and a good backup. And so = does my around 100 clients in 5 countries. So I really disagree. And my wife does. She uses thunderbird, plain and = working. Whatever files she saves are nomally dumped on the desktop. No = tagging (have you ever heard of anyone non-IT actually taggin files). = Searching for mail works wonderfully. = I am sorry, I am a KDEPIM fanboy but like many others I ask -where did the = whole database search concept come from? I never search for email outside t= he = client, why would I? While I sometimes disagree with Martin I admire his strong devotion to hunt = bugs. While I agree wiith the devs I also have to question the foundation: = why = and who use the database computer concept? Who tags their files? The most-u= sed = is "recent opened" files. Had to vent. Orjan Sinclair _______________________________________________ KDE PIM mailing list kde-pim@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-pim KDE PIM home page at http://pim.kde.org/