List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] ldap address book
From:       Benjamin Adler <benadler () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-02-15 23:09:35

On Saturday 15 February 2003 20:05, Tobias Koenig wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 07:04:15PM +0100, Benjamin Adler wrote:
> > Hi!
>
> Hi Benjamin,
>
> > Is it possible to create a 'virtual' addressbook that is always
> > automatically filled with the contacts from an ldap-server?
>
> Yes, see below
>
> > Does kab handle multiple address-books at all? I couldn't find any info
> > on that.
>
> You can create a new addressbook (or resource, like we call it) in
> KControl under
>   KDE Components -> Address Book
> Here you can add a new LDAP resource and configure its settings, like
> servername, port, username, password and also the attributes, the server
> supports.
> After creating the resource you should restart kaddressbook and all
> entries should appear.

When I click on Add in the address-book component in kcontrol, all I get is
either 'file' or 'dir'. If I choose one, in 'resource settings', there's
'vcard', 'binary' and 'kde cvs accounts', but no ldap. (If you want, I'll
create a screenshot)

I already recompiled kdebase and kdepim, just to make sure i have ldap support
compiled in.

kinfocenter says that the ldap-ioslave is installed and as said, i can do
ldap-lookups in the address-book.

Also, if there really was an ldap-choice in the kcontrol->kab department, why
is there another way to add an ldap-server in the address-book? I don't quite
understand that.

I use gentoo. Is it possible the ebuild decided to NOT install some parts of
kde that are needed for this kind of ldap-support? How could I check that?

thanks,
	ben adler