List:       kde-pim
Subject:    Re: [Kde-pim] ldap address book
From:       Tobias Koenig <tokoe () kde ! org>
Date:       2003-02-15 19:05:01

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 07:04:15PM +0100, Benjamin Adler wrote:
> Hi!
Hi Benjamin,

> Is it possible to create a 'virtual' addressbook that is always automatically
> filled with the contacts from an ldap-server?
Yes, see below

> Does kab handle multiple address-books at all? I couldn't find any info on
> that.
You can create a new addressbook (or resource, like we call it) in
KControl under
  KDE Components -> Address Book
Here you can add a new LDAP resource and configure its settings, like
servername, port, username, password and also the attributes, the server
supports.
After creating the resource you should restart kaddressbook and all
entries should appear.

> Right now, it seems I cannot edit the contacts on an LDAP-server. Will this
> change or is kab supposed to be a read-only client?
If you have a read/write account for the LDAP server, you can login with
these data, select the resource to be not readonly, and the data will be
written back on save. But be careful!!! Their may be data loss, since
KAddressBook does not support all attributes, so these attributes won't
be written back.

Ciao,
Tobias
--